Oh 2020, what a year you’ve been! From the threat of World War 3 to the Australian Wildfires and of course, COVID-19, this year has been absolutely shit – to say the least. I would be really surprised if anyone can turn around this year and say: “This was the best year ever!” If that’s you, I’ll politely ask you to go away!
For me, this year has been an interesting one. I started the year totally unhappy. I was in a terrible relationship, I hated who I was and my mental health was at an all time low! I was desperately seeking something that could make me happy but I couldn’t work out what would complete my happiness puzzle. Well, in March 2020, I broke up with my boyfriend and later, found out he had cheated on me. Now, this isn’t what made me happy – in fact, I was devastated and I felt completely lied to. But the breakdown of my relationship was the start of something good for me!
After taking some time to get over the relationship, I started feeling a lot better about everything: my prospects, my body, my mental state! It was like taking away that piece of my life was actually the thing I needed to complete me. It changed my perspective on everything! I realise now that I am no longer going to settle for any less than deserve. But more importantly, I am happy in my own company! As we head into 2021, I am feeling better than ever. Compared to how I was feeling last year, there is a stark contrast. In fact, last year, I came so close to just giving up but here I am.
At the end of 2019, I wrote a list of goals I had for 2020 and every year I like to compare how I got on. So here we go:
Goals for 2020
- Find a workout I enjoy and do it more. I’m still working on this one really. I find it extremely hard to get motivated – especially after a day at work or shooting content all day. However, I have a playlist of dance workouts which I enjoy doing every once a while. Even though I can’t dance, I like that it doesn’t feel like I’m forcing myself to move. It feels fun!
- Create healthier habits. As mentioned, my mental health at the end of 2019 was shocking and I thought a way to manage this would be to change my habits. I wouldn’t say I’ve necessarily changed my habits but my mental health has got better so my habits have got better. I’m going to bed at a reasonable time, eating nutritious food but treating myself to a McDonalds and pizza when I want it.
- Learn how to budget and save money. In 2019, I said that I was going to start the new year by clearing my credit card debt, which I’m pleased to say I’ve done! While I still use a credit card, I am much more responsible with it and I’m not in debt anymore. In terms of savings, I am not exactly close to buying a house right now lol! But I am saving to go on a trip with my best friends to Vegas in a few years time. Therefore, money is being saved!
- Write a blog weekly. Let’s not talk about this one!
- Learn a new skill. The one goal I’ve actually been able to stick to this year! I started learning German with Duolingo at the end of 2019 and I am still doing it to this day. Here is a glimpse of my progress: Hallo! Ich heiße Emily. Ich komme aus Essex, England! Ich habe eine schwester, eine mutter and ein vater. (Written without any Google assistance aha)
Goals for 2021
- Learn to cook. I want to focus on veggie/vegan dishes as I also want to eat less meat this year.
- Continue to learn German and start learning British Sign Language. I would like to be able to confidently speak in German as that’s my weakness at the moment.
- Travel to at least one new country. Obviously, this is COVID-19 permitted but I would like to travel next year. I really want to go to Germany (obviously) and Japan as these are two places I was eager to visit in 2020.
- Say yes to more opportunities. In all aspects of my life, I would like to accept more things like attending events and doing activities which I would never do normally. I’m normally held back by my anxiety but I want to beat that.
- Define my brand and create a viable business for my blogging. Over the last few years, things have been getting serious for my personal brand and I’m looking forward to making this an income stream. After all, I love making content for people like me and if I can make this a full-time job, then that would be amazing!
What are your goals for the new year? Let me know below!